Beginning on December 27, 1673 and continuing for another 18 months, St. Margaret Mary Alacoque (1647-1690) received several visions of Our Lord in which He revealed the profound depths of His Sacred Heart.
And He showed me that it was His great desire of being loved by men and of withdrawing them from the path of ruin that made Him form the design of manifesting His Heart to men, with all the treasures of love, of mercy, of grace, of sanctification and salvation which it contains, in order that those who desire to render Him and procure Him all the honor and love possible, might themselves be abundantly enriched with those divine treasures of which His heart is the source. (Revelations of Our Lord to St. Mary Margaret Alacoque)
Twelve Promises of the Sacred Heart
What are these "divine treasures" of Christ that St. Margaret Mary speaks of?
They are commonly called "the 12 promises of the Sacred Heart of Jesus".
1. I will give them all of the graces necessary for their state of life.
2. I will establish peace in their houses.
3. I will comfort them in all their afflictions.
4. I will be their strength during life and above all during death.
5. I will bestow a large blessing upon all their undertakings.
6. Sinners shall find in My Heart the source and the infinite ocean of mercy.
7. Tepid souls shall grow fervent.
8. Fervent souls shall quickly mount to high perfection.
9. I will bless every place where a picture of my heart shall be set up and honored.
10. I will give to priests the gift of touching the most hardened hearts.
11. Those who shall promote this devotion shall have their names written in My Heart, never to be blotted out.
12. I promise you in the excessive mercy of My Heart that My all-powerful love will grant to all those who communicate on the First Friday in nine consecutive months the grace of final penitence; they shall not die in My disgrace nor without receiving their sacraments; My Divine Heart shall be their safe refuge in this last moment.
First Friday Devotion
What are the requirements of the First Friday devotion and what did Christ promise to those who fulfill it?
To obtain these promises, one simply needs to receive Communion for nine consecutive first Fridays (of each month).
Act of Consecration
St. Margaret Mary Alacoque
I give and consecrate to the Heart of Our Lord Jesus Christ, my whole life, all my actions, my trials, my sufferings, devoting every portion of my being to loving, honoring, and glorifying Him, to working for His live alone, renouncing with all my heart whatever may be displeasing to Him.
I take Thee, then, O Sacred Heart, for the one object of my live, the Protector of my life, the Pledge of my salvation, the Remedy of my inconstancy, the redeemer of all my faults, and my sure refuge in the hour of death.
O Heart of all goodness, be my justification before God the father, and shield me from the effects of His just anger. O Heart, overflowing with love, I place all my confidence in Thee, for I dread my own weakness, while I hope everything from thy bounty.
Do Thou destroy in me whatever may displease Thee or withstand Thy will, and may the pure love of Thee be so deeply imprinted in my heart that I may never forget thee nor be separated from Thee, and I implore Thee by all thy love that my name may be graven upon thee. May it be all my happiness to live and die as Thy slave. Amen.